The Parish of Balga Mirrabooka has a long history.
This year is the 60th Church Anniversary of our parish. It represents the coming together of different congregations:
You can learn a lot by looking at foundation plaques and we have three of them. Have a look at them today.
Two are inside the church on the wall near the Chapel of St Julian and one on the outside near the entrance to the Foyer. The two inside speak to the earlier locations of the church buildings.
The first church for the Parish of Nollamara was named Christ the King, in Nanson Way, Nollamara and was opened in May 1959. In 1980 the church changed its name to St Paul’s. Several years later St Paul’s moved to a new property opened in December 1987 on the corner of Poinsettia Way and Mirrabooka Ave, Mirrabooka as the Parish of Nollamara-Mirrabooka. The Nanson Way site was then purchased by the Buddhist Society of WA which still operates there.
The Parish worked out of the Poinsettia way property for about ten years but decided to sell the property in 1997 and move to the John Septimus Roe School. The former church became a Mosque for some years but is now vacant land.
At the school, St Paul’s congregation began worshipping in a school building until our current church was opened in May 1998.
In about 2004 we were asked to host a congregation of Anglican Sudanese Dinka people who are still part of our parish.
Since then both the Balga (The Church of the Good Shepherd) and later Ballajura (St Julian’s) parishes have closed and we have been enriched by the former members who subsequently joined St Pauls. The Parish was renamed Balga-Mirrabooka in 2007. So 2019 is the 60th anniversary of this much amalgamated and relocated Parish and we continue our ministry in this community to the Glory of God.